As you might have found out while reading my previous blog posts I’m not a creative person, actually not at all. But isn’t creativity the foundation of a good business idea? If I take a look at the stories “One Red Paperclip” or “The Million Dollar Homepage” I don’t have a doubt.
What was creativity about again? Well, my dear companion Wikipedia describes it as follows:
“Creativity refers to the phenomenon whereby a person creates something new (a product, a solution, a work of art etc.) that has some kind of value. What counts as “new” may be in reference to the individual creator, or to the society or domain within which the novelty occurs. What counts as “valuable” is similarly defined in a variety of ways.”
The highlighted parts in the explanation explicitly reveal that there must be a correlation between a successful business idea and creativity -> Score!
Wait, that means as well that I will never find my personal-innovative-ultimate-marvelous-fantastic-striking yada-yada-yada… business idea, because: domwoj ≠ creativity = no business idea.
…and the answer is: Yes! It is possible. Here are a couple of approaches concerning creativity techniques, listed by R.S. Nickerson in his 1999 publication “Enhancing Creativity”:
1. Establishing purpose and intention
2. Building basic skills
3. Encouraging acquisitions of domain-specific knowledge
4. Stimulating and rewarding curiosity and exploration
5. Building motivation, especially internal motivation
6. Encouraging confidence and a willingness to take risks
7. Focusing on mastery and self-competition
8. Promoting supportable beliefs about creativity
9. Providing opportunities for choice and discovery
10. Developing self-management (metacognitive skills)
11. Teaching techniques and strategies for facilitating creative performance
12. Providing balance
Aha… well… maybe I’ll get back to that later. To become or to be a creative person must have something to do with art. Enough for today!
Last but not least
Of course I can’t finish without giving you an example of a unique business idea: While surfing through the world wide web I suddenly stumbled across a “discovery engine” that suggests websites with your interests, websites you would’t come across on your own, something very creative, trust me. Have fun: stumbleupon.com (more fun than drawing silly mind-maps;)